What is now the home of the Georgia Sea Turtle Center, was once the Jekyll Island Power Plant. Built in 1903, the plant brought electricity to the island for decades. Today, the building brings energy in a whole new way, as a hospital to sick and injured sea turtles! After years of fundraising and planning, ground broke in February 2006 to renovate and establish the Georgia Sea Turtle Center. The community rallied around the project, making donations, assisting with fundraising events, buying personalized bricks for the “Walkway to Wonder,” and attending the popular sea turtle educational programs in order to create Georgia’s premier sea turtle rehabilitation hospital which opened its doors in June 2007. In 2008, the project was nominated for the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation Award. The restoration project involved contractors replacing the roof in its entirety. They had to completely dismantle sections of the failing southern side brick wall and reassemble the wall. They also restored original doors and windows, and reproduced windows that had been removed from the building over the years.